Control Engineer (TOK168)
Location: Milton Park, Abingdon
Job type: Permanent
Overview of the role
The Control Engineer will play a key role in the creation of a model-based design framework for the development of control systems for the Tokamak Energy Fusion devices and ancillary equipment to defined quality standards. They will also develop control systems for these devices and work closely with other members of the team to ensure they are verified and validated against user and system requirements.
The successful candidate will join the Control Systems Group, responsible for developing the systems necessary to control and manage Tokamak Energy Fusion and develop control systems and software in a quality framework.
In this role, you will:
- Develop control systems for Tokamak Energy fusion devices and ancillary equipment.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of tools for automated configuration, parameterisation and simulation of models.
- Verify control system performance against specifications and validate performance against user and system requirements.
- Work within a Quality Framework (for example, producing models and code for control systems which allow tracing of requirements).
- Work within a team and collaborating closely with members of other teams.
- Use and develop tools and processes to automate and facilitate working to quality standards.
- Liaise with equipment vendors to specify, test and integrate third party control systems, again within a quality framework.
- Liaise closely with tools vendors to facilitate the development of internal tools/processes.
Hazard-specific / Safety-critical duties
This job includes the following hazards or safety-critical activities which will require successful pre-employment health screening through our occupational health service before the successful candidate will be allowed to start work:
- Lone Working
- Driving on Company business
- Working with Ionising Radiation
- Travel outside of Europe or North America on company business
Requirements and attributes we value:
- Experience of Mathworks tools (Matlab, Simulink, Stateflow)
- Experience of developing control systems in a model-based design framework.
- A further degree (MSc, PhD)
- Knowledge and experience of Quality standards (ISO 26262, IEC 61508, DO 178)
- Experience of Object-Oriented design methodologies
- Knowledge of coding languages such as C,C++, Java.
- Experience of the configuration and use of auto-code generators.
- Experience of Version Control systems (GIT, SVN)
Benefits available to you:
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Company pension scheme
- Eligible for company share option scheme after 1 years’ service
- Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependant on performance
- Private medical insurance after 3 months service
- Cycle to work scheme
No terminology in the advert or job description is intended to discriminate on the grounds of a person’s gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation. Every candidate will be assessed only in accordance with their merits, qualifications and abilities to perform the duties of the job.
How to apply
If you are passionate about accelerating the development of fusion power and want to join our dynamic team, please send your CV with a covering letter detailing your experience to email@example.com
Important information for candidates
Please note that the appointment of the successful candidate will be subject to standard pre-employment screening, as applicable to the post. This will include right-to-work, proof of identity and references.
Please note that any personal data submitted to Tokamak Energy as part of the job application process will be processed in accordance with the GDPR and related UK data protection legislation, for more information regarding GDPR please see: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation
Equality of opportunity
Entry into employment with the Tokamak Energy and progression within employment will be determined only by personal merit and the application of criteria which are related to the duties of each post and the relevant salary structure. In all cases, ability to perform the job will be the primary consideration. No applicant or member of staff shall be discriminated against because of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.