Controls Test Engineer (TOK083)
Location: Milton Park, Abingdon
Job type: Permanent
Tokamak Engineering is seeking a Senior Test Engineer to play the lead role in creating a model-based test framework for testing control systems for Tokamak Energy Fusion devices and ancillary equipment. S/he will also test control systems for these devices and work closely with other members of the team to ensure they are verified and validated against user and system requirements.
The successful candidate will join the Control Systems Group, a small but growing team of engineers responsible for developing the systems necessary to control and manage Tokamak Energy Fusion devices as they expand in power and complexity over the next decade, and beyond.
S/he will form part of a multi-disciplinary team of professionals to develop control systems and software in a quality framework.
Main duties/role and responsibilities
- Creation of the framework and procedures for testing control systems for fusion devices and ancillary equipment at all stages in the development cycle.
- Design, development and execution of test plans.
- Testing of control systems for Tokamak Energy fusion devices and ancillary equipment.
- Development and maintenance of tools for automated testing, regression testing and reporting of test results.
- Verify control system performance against specifications and validate performance against user and system requirements.
- Working within a Quality Framework.
- Working within a team and collaborating closely with members of other teams.
- Development and use of tools and processes to automate and facilitate working to quality standards.
- Liaising with equipment vendors to test and integrate third party control systems, again within a quality framework.
- Liaising closely with tools vendors to facilitate the development of internal tools/processes.
Hazard-specific / Safety-critical duties
This job includes the following hazards or safety-critical activities which will require successful pre-employment health screening through our Occupational Health Service before the successful candidate will be allowed to start work:
- Lone Working
- Driving on Company business
- Working with Ionising Radiation
- Travel outside of Europe or North America on company business
A good degree in a technical subject (Maths, Physics, Engineering or similar) will be required for this role
- Experience of Mathworks tools (Matlab, Simulink, Stateflow)
- Experience of Hardware in the Loop Simulation and Test methods and tools.
Desirable selection criteria
- A further degree (MSc, PhD)
- Experience of dSpace or Speedgoat HiLST toolsets.
- Experience of modelling dynamic systems.
- Knowledge and experience of Quality Standards (ISO 26262, IEC 61508, DO 178)
- Experience of Object-Oriented Design Methodologies
- Knowledge of coding languages such as C, C++, Java.
- Experience of the configuration and use of auto-code generators.
- Experience of Version Control systems (GIT, SVN)
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Company pension scheme
- Eligible for company share option scheme after 1 years’ service
- Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependant on performance
- Private medical insurance after 3 months service
- Bike to work scheme
Please note: Only candidates with the relevant skills and experience will be contacted regarding this position. If you do not hear back from us within 10 days of submitting, your application then unfortunately you have been unsuccessful. However, we may contact you in the future to discuss other opportunities.
No terminology in the advert or job description is intended to discriminate on the grounds of a person’s gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation. Every candidate will be assessed only in accordance with their merits, qualifications and abilities to perform the duties of the job.
How to apply
If you are passionate about accelerating the development of fusion power and want to join our dynamic team, please send your CV with a covering letter detailing your experience to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Important information for candidates
Please note that the appointment of the successful candidate will be subject to standard pre-employment screening, as applicable to the post. This will include right-to-work, proof of identity and references.
Please note that any personal data submitted to Tokamak Energy as part of the job application process will be processed in accordance with the GDPR and related UK data protection legislation, for more information regarding GDPR please see: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation
Equality of Opportunity
Entry into employment with the Tokamak Energy and progression within employment will be determined only by personal merit and the application of criteria which are related to the duties of each post and the relevant salary structure. In all cases, ability to perform the job will be the primary consideration. No applicant or member of staff shall be discriminated against because of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.