Design Engineer (TOK1091)
Location: Milton Park, Abingdon
Job type: Permanent
Overview of the role
Reporting to the Design Office Manager, the Design Engineer will be a key member of the Tokamak Energy Engineering team, responsible for detailed engineering design of the company’s projects and systems. He/she will interface with senior managers and advisors to produce 3D CAD models from design schemes and layouts and be responsible for detailed component manufacturing drawings. It is further envisaged that candidates will have several years’ experience, possess a broad knowledge of low volume manufacturing methods and practices, and be used to working flexibly and autonomously as part of a small team and have 3D CAD experience.
In this role, you will:
- create detailed 3D models using solid edge.
- prepare and create manufacturing drawings of approved designs, individual production parts and assembly drawings.
- produce drawings for tender submissions.
- maintain an up to date technical awareness of the business requirements.
- carry out all duties in accordance with the company Health and Safety policy.
- work closely with the assembly team during the build phase of the project to help resolve any build/assembly issues.
- work to the requirements of the drawing office control system.
- work closely with the Design and Products teams to coordinate and effectively plan and programme the designs to ensure the assembly team have suitable time to meet key installation dates and deadlines.
- liaise directly with subcontractors where required.
- undertake any other duties or special projects as may be regarded within the responsibility of the post.
Hazard-specific / Safety-critical duties
This job may include the following hazards or safety-critical activities:
- Work in hot or cold environments
- Driving on Company business
- Work with cryogenic fluids including liquid nitrogen
- Working with or in the vicinity of equipment that produces high magnetic fields
- Working with materials that are managed under the control of substances hazardous to health regulations (COSHH)
- Operating heavy equipment including forklifts / overhead gantry cranes
- Travel outside of Europe or North America on company business
Requirements and attributes we value:
- Degree level in mechanical engineering or CAD design or equivalent
- Working knowledge and experience of solid edge software
- Special purpose machine systems
- Process equipment and tooling
- Vacuum systems and vacuum chambers
- Mechanical structure
- Familiarity with Team Centre for drawing control
- Experience of design for high magnetic fields
- Electrical drawing experience
- Wide knowledge of materials used in scientific applications (metal alloys/ceramics/composites)
Benefits available to you:
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Company pension scheme
- Eligible for company share option scheme after 1 years’ service
- Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependant on performance
- Private medical insurance after 3 months service
- Cycle to work scheme
No terminology in the advert or job description is intended to discriminate on the grounds of a person’s gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation. Every candidate will be assessed only in accordance with their merits, qualifications and abilities to perform the duties of the job.
How to apply
If you are passionate about accelerating the development of fusion power and want to join our dynamic team, please send your CV with a covering letter detailing your experience to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Important information for candidates
Please note that the appointment of the successful candidate will be subject to standard pre-employment screening, as applicable to the post. This will include right-to-work, proof of identity and references.
Please note that any personal data submitted to Tokamak Energy as part of the job application process will be processed in accordance with the GDPR and related UK data protection legislation, for more information regarding GDPR please see: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation
Equality of opportunity
Entry into employment with the Tokamak Energy and progression within employment will be determined only by personal merit and the application of criteria which are related to the duties of each post and the relevant salary structure. In all cases, ability to perform the job will be the primary consideration. No applicant or member of staff shall be discriminated against because of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.