System Optimization Engineer
Location: Milton Park, Abingdon
Job type: Permanent
A position is available in the Divertor team for a System Optimization Engineer. The successful candidate will be responsible for the integrated analysis and optimization of the system to which the divertor and other plasma-facing components belong. The scope includes novel cooling technologies, materials, ex-vessel loops and instrumentation, while considering their complex interfaces and loading conditions for present and future fusion devices at Tokamak Energy. The candidate will have a methodical but practical mindset, capable of evaluating and selecting emerging technologies through advanced analysis techniques, able to understand and validate to experimental data; organised, self-driven and able to work to defined timescales.
- Define and implement the strategy for system analysis and optimization activities in line with the divertor development plan related to the design, experimental validation, integration and testing activities.
- Analyse and assess the divertor and plasma-facing systems under nominal, off-normal and accidental scenarios, identifying cascade effects on components’ response and their impact on performance and safety case.
- Manage system interfaces at the MBSE level, liaising with physicists and engineers responsible for other tokamak systems’ R&D, power supplies, HTS magnet design and overall integration.
- Collaborate in the assessment and qualification of the performance of plasma-facing components to be installed inside the tokamak vacuum enclosure as the responsible of key interfaces.
- Participate in the design of novel liquid metal tokamak components modelling the system’s behaviour and its internal and external analysis and qualification, both in laboratory and during tokamak operations.
- Monitor external development on novel techniques for improving heat flux handling performance in solids and liquid metals using topology optimization techniques.
- Support relevant testing activities in coordination with tokamak physics and engineering designers, as required for the next generation of fusion devices.
- Liaising with external contractors and researchers for the supply of technology development solutions.
Hazard-specific / Safety-critical duties
This job includes the following hazards or safety-critical activities
- Driving on Company business
- Regular manual handling
- Work with any substance which has any of the following pictograms on their MSDS:
- Travel outside of Europe or North America on company business
- Degree in a relevant physics or engineering discipline, or equivalent experience.
- Experience running, checking, and validating thermo-mechanical MBSE simulations.
- Demonstrated interface management for complex systems.
- Strong practical knowledge operating and optimizing thermal-hydraulics systems.
- Experience working within a team of scientists and/or engineers.
- Highly motivated to deliver against challenging objectives in a compressed timescale
- Ability to contribute effectively in a multi-disciplinary team of engineers and scientists
- Willingness to learn new techniques and technologies
- Effective written and oral communication skills
- Organised approach to complex problems
Desirable selection criteria
- Experience designing and analysing systems for high-heat flux solutions, preferably operating within vacuum environments.
- Electro-magnetic analysis experience will be a plus.
- Experience with reduced order models, sub-modelling techniques, and load transfer procedures.
- Experience with MBSE tools, such as Simscape, System Composer and/or Dymola
- Appreciation of commercial (ANSYS) and open source (OpenFOAM, Salome-Meca) simulation packages.
- Fluid dynamics modelling experience would be an advantage, if including magneto hydrodynamic (MHD) effects.
- Experience working in aerospace, nuclear, and/or fusion fields would be a plus.
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Company pension scheme
- Eligible for company share option scheme after 1 years’ service
- Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependant on performance
- Private medical insurance after 3 months service
- Cycle to work scheme
Please note: Only candidates with the relevant skills and experience will be contacted regarding this position. If you do not hear back from us within 10 days of submitting, your application then unfortunately you have been unsuccessful. However, we may contact you in the future to discuss other opportunities.
No terminology in the advert or job description is intended to discriminate on the grounds of a person’s gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation. Every candidate will be assessed only in accordance with their merits, qualifications and abilities to perform the duties of the job.
How to apply
If you are passionate about accelerating the development of fusion power and want to join our dynamic team, please send your CV with a covering letter detailing your experience to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Important information for candidates
Please note that the appointment of the successful candidate will be subject to standard pre-employment screening, as applicable to the post. This will include right-to-work, proof of identity and references.
Please note that any personal data submitted to Tokamak Energy as part of the job application process will be processed in accordance with the GDPR and related UK data protection legislation, for more information regarding GDPR please see: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation
Equality of Opportunity
Entry into employment with the Tokamak Energy and progression within employment will be determined only by personal merit and the application of criteria which are related to the duties of each post and the relevant salary structure. In all cases, ability to perform the job will be the primary consideration. No applicant or member of staff shall be discriminated against because of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.