Diagnostics Electronics Engineer (TOK140)
Location: Milton Park, Abingdon
Job type: Permanent
Overview of the role
Reporting to the Head of Diagnostics, the Electronics Engineer will be a key member of the Tokamak Energy Diagnostics team, responsible for electronic circuit design of the company’s diagnostic systems. The successful candidate will interface with members of the diagnostics team and advisors to produce circuit designs, schematics PCB layouts and bill of materials. They should be capable of surface mount assembly, though their role will be supported by a technician. The engineer should be familiar with electronic design tools such as Eagle and KiCad and be experienced in low noise analogue design, EMC compliance as well as digital design and embedded systems using Linux.
In this role, you will:
- design electronic systems to control, capture and process signals from bespoke sensor systems.
- design, document and arrange procurement and assembly (schematics, layout, gerber and BOM generation) of prototype and final engineered devices.
- prepare design reviews for new and novel systems.
- carry out all duties in accordance with the company Health and Safety policy.
- work closely with the ST40 assembly team during the build phase of the project to help resolve any build/assembly issues.
- work in collaboration with other teams such as the controls group to effectively manage interfaces.
- liaise directly with subcontractors where required.
- undertake any other duties or special projects as may be regarded within the responsibility of the post.
Hazard-specific / Safety-critical duties
This job may include the following hazards or safety-critical activities:
- Working at height (ladders)
- Driving on Company business
- Working with ionising radiation (Occasional use of calibration sources)
- Occasional manual handling
- Working in the vicinity of equipment that produces high magnetic fields
- Working with materials that are managed under the control of substances hazardous to health regulations (COSHH)
Requirements and attributes we value:
- Degree level in electronic engineering or equivalent
- Working knowledge and experience of electronic design tools
- Good understanding of analogue and digital design
- Knowledge of Linux and embedded systems
- Vacuum systems and vacuum chambers
- Experience of design for high magnetic fields
- Python or other IT analysis languages
- Knowledge of transmission lines, resonant circuits and RF systems
Benefits available to you:
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Company pension scheme
- Eligible for company share option scheme after 1 years’ service
- Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependant on performance
- Private medical insurance after 3 months service
- Cycle to work scheme
No terminology in the advert or job description is intended to discriminate on the grounds of a person’s gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation. Every candidate will be assessed only in accordance with their merits, qualifications and abilities to perform the duties of the job.
How to apply
If you are passionate about accelerating the development of fusion power and want to join our dynamic team, please send your CV with a covering letter detailing your experience to email@example.com.
Important information for candidates
Please note that the appointment of the successful candidate will be subject to standard pre-employment screening, as applicable to the post. This will include right-to-work, proof of identity and references.
Please note that any personal data submitted to Tokamak Energy as part of the job application process will be processed in accordance with the GDPR and related UK data protection legislation, for more information regarding GDPR please see: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation
Equality of opportunity
Entry into employment with the Tokamak Energy and progression within employment will be determined only by personal merit and the application of criteria which are related to the duties of each post and the relevant salary structure. In all cases, ability to perform the job will be the primary consideration. No applicant or member of staff shall be discriminated against because of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.