Financial Controller (TOK085)
Location: Milton Park, Abingdon
Job type: Permanent
This business-critical role reports to the FD and will lead a dedicated finance team. The successful candidate will be key in helping the team navigate the challenges faced by a growing and ambitious business, whilst continuing to embed the Finance team as a value-add department within the business. The business anticipates continued future growth, increased funding, increasing statutory compliance and internal reporting requirements and this role is key is building the financial infrastructure to capitalise upon and respond to these future changes.
The role is a wide-ranging and varied and includes responsibility for Group and Company statutory reporting, internal management and project reporting, financial controls, cashflow management and tax (and other) compliance. The Financial Controller will engage regularly with senior level stakeholders, whilst also working closely with their team to coach and facilitate delivery. They will also be responsible for building the team to facilitate continued improvement across several finance areas in order to support the business in its bold goals.
Main duties/role and responsibilities
- Lead the existing finance team of 2 direct reports (and 2 indirect reports)
- Expand capability depth of the team, through recruitment for 2022 onwards and training of existing team
- Lead and be responsible for delivering and developing the following areas:
- Group and Company external reporting – including audit and statutory requirements for subsidiaries (inc.US)
- Internal reporting – including project and grant reporting
- Budgeting and forecasting process and outputs
- Cashflow forecasting and treasury management
- Internal financial processes, controls and control environment
- Tax compliance
- Programme costs for our next tokamak devices (in the short term)
- Group payroll process
You will need to be an ACA Big 4 qualified accountant (will consider Big 6) with significant industry experience, capable of leading the Finance team and contributing to the strategic thinking of the business;
- Industry experience with listed entities
- Ability to lead, develop and grow the Finance team
- Strong technical accounting background/experience (IFRS)
- Strong cashflow management skills
- Strong budgeting, forecasting and project reporting experience
- Proven track record in tax compliance (R&D tax credit experience is advantageous)
- Track record of internal control and process development (SOX experience is advantageous)
- Strong experience in accounting software & ERP packages
- Experience in high technology, high capex environments is beneficial
- Work with integrity, delivery focus and accountability
- An interest in our mission
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Company pension scheme
- Eligible for company share option scheme after 1 years’ service
- Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependant on performance
- Private medical insurance after 3 months service
- Cycle to work scheme
Please note: Only candidates with the relevant skills and experience will be contacted regarding this position. If you do not hear back from us within 10 days of submitting, your application then unfortunately you have been unsuccessful. However, we may contact you in the future to discuss other opportunities.
No terminology in the advert or job description is intended to discriminate on the grounds of a person’s gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation. Every candidate will be assessed only in accordance with their merits, qualifications and abilities to perform the duties of the job.
How to apply
If you are passionate about accelerating the development of fusion power and want to join our dynamic team, please send your CV with a covering letter detailing your experience to email@example.com
Important information for candidates
Please note that the appointment of the successful candidate will be subject to standard pre-employment screening, as applicable to the post. This will include right-to-work, proof of identity and references.
Please note that any personal data submitted to Tokamak Energy as part of the job application process will be processed in accordance with the GDPR and related UK data protection legislation, for more information regarding GDPR please see: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation
Equality of opportunity
Entry into employment with the Tokamak Energy and progression within employment will be determined only by personal merit and the application of criteria which are related to the duties of each post and the relevant salary structure. In all cases, ability to perform the job will be the primary consideration. No applicant or member of staff shall be discriminated against because of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.