Health and Safety Advisor
Location: Milton Park, Abingdon
Job type: Permanent
Overview of the role
Tokamak Energy is developing unique solutions to solve the world’s energy problems. With these unique solutions come unique challenges arising from our cutting-edge technologies. As health and safety advisor you will be supporting the health and safety function in the delivery of the company’s objective to develop an excellent fusion safety culture. Recent global events have led to an increase in workload in the health and safety function requiring us to recruit for a temporary role to support this increased demand.
For the right candidate there is the opportunity to support the business manage the ongoing challenges of Covid-19 with the ability to branch out into other areas of occupational health and safety. At Tokamak we are currently laying the foundations of our fusion safety culture. There is an exciting opportunity to enable the business build a strong foundation for its fusion safety culture.
Main duties/role and responsibilities
- Developing policies and procedures that tackle the evolving Covid-19 issues, including management of contractors
- Advising the health and safety manager / pandemic response team on any changes in local and global trends related to Covid-19 as well as any legislative changes
- Reviewing existing policies, procedures forms and risk assessments to ensure that they are fit for purpose
- Drafting new policies, procedures and associated management system documentation while seeking input from relevant departments while ensuring that they are easily understood and involve as little overhead as possible
- Ensuring that health and safety incidents including near misses and good spots are investigated to a high standard, documented and corrective actions are put in place to prevent reoccurrence
- Provide input to the development of the organisation’s fusion safety culture plan
- Conduct internal audits to ensure that processes are being adhered to and are compliant with legal and other requirements
- Be an approachable contact to all members of staff seeking health and safety advice
Hazard-specific / Safety-critical duties
This job includes the following hazards or safety-critical activities which will require successful pre-employment health screening through our occupational health service before the successful candidate will be allowed to start work:
- Working at height
- Night working (11pm-6am) (very occasional)
- Working with ionising radiation
- Experience working in an organisation with complex or high-tech products or processes
- Minimum IOSH managing safely; preferred NEBOSH general or equivalent
- Excellent communication skills at all levels of the organisation
- Delivering all work to a high standard and on time
- Ability to easily understand complex topics and large data sets and make sense of them
- Excellent IT skills highly beneficial as we are seeking ways to improve safety management using technology
- The ability to engage, coach & mentor other members of staff would be beneficial
- Experience of ionising radiation may be beneficial
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Company pension scheme
- Eligible for company share option scheme after 1 years’ service
- Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependant on performance
- Private medical insurance after 3 months service
- Bike to work scheme
Please note: Only candidates with the relevant skills and experience will be contacted regarding this position. If you do not hear back from us within 10 days of submitting, your application then unfortunately you have been unsuccessful. However, we may contact you in the future to discuss other opportunities.
No terminology in the advert or job description is intended to discriminate on the grounds of a person’s gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation. Every candidate will be assessed only in accordance with their merits, qualifications and abilities to perform the duties of the job.
How to apply
If you are passionate about accelerating the development of fusion power and want to join our dynamic team, please send your CV with a covering letter detailing your experience to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Important information for candidates
Please note that the appointment of the successful candidate will be subject to standard pre-employment screening, as applicable to the post. This will include right-to-work, proof of identity and references.
Please note that any personal data submitted to Tokamak Energy as part of the job application process will be processed in accordance with the GDPR and related UK data protection legislation, for more information regarding GDPR please see: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation
Equality of opportunity
Entry into employment with the Tokamak Energy and progression within employment will be determined only by personal merit and the application of criteria which are related to the duties of each post and the relevant salary structure. In all cases, ability to perform the job will be the primary consideration. No applicant or member of staff shall be discriminated against because of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.