Health and Safety Manager
Location: Milton Park, Oxfordshire, UK
Tokamak Energy aims to accelerate the development of fusion energy by combining two emerging technologies – spherical tokamaks and high-temperature superconductors.
The company was originally established in 2009 to design and develop small spherical tokamaks and compact fusion reactors for a range of applications. Since then, the Company has unlocked a new route to scalable fusion power that is cost-effective and does not require huge infrastructure and capital expenditure. The technology will revolutionise the world’s energy production – it will be possible to produce more energy, more cheaply and with fewer harmful side effects (e.g. with no long term nuclear waste or carbon emissions). Tokamak Energy aims to accelerate the development of fusion energy by combining two emerging technologies – spherical tokamaks and high-temperature superconductors. The company’s innovation has been featured on Channel 4 news, BBC News Click and Reuters news channel and they received a Technology Pioneer Award at the World Economic Forum on 2016. This is the chance to join a fast-growing high technology company with an agile, dynamic team and to tackle the challenge of a lifetime.
Person and Job Specification
To lead the development and implementation of the HSE strategy within a fast moving organization developing compact fusion technology. The role is primarily focused on the operational health and safety within the organisations facility on Milton Park. It will also encompass radiological health and safety challenges as the company progresses to the next phase of its operations.
Key duties will include
- Work with senior management to develop the company health and safety strategy, policy and procedures
- Prepare health and safety strategies and develop internal policy
- Lead H&S communication and safety culture development process
- Lead in-house training with managers and employees about health & safety issues and risks
- Own and develop the key processes for assuring and improving Health and Safety in the Company.
- Through effective engagement, establish the H&S Manager role as the trusted ‘go-to’ source of advice on HSE
- Provide expert advice on topics including: Risk assessment, fire regulations, hazardous substances, noise, safeguarding machinery & occupational health issues.
- Undertake risk assessments and consider how risks could be reduced. Produce risk and method statements as required.
- Develop safe operational procedures which identify and take account of all relevant hazards
- Carry out regular site inspections to check policies and procedures are being properly implemented and develop a framework for management to do the same.
- Ensure changes to working practices are safe & comply with legislation.
- Produce frequent reports of inspection findings & drive a process to effect improvements
- Record incidents & accidents, producing statistics for managers, lead investigation and recurrence-prevention processes.
- Keep up to date with new legislation & maintaining a working knowledge of all Health & Safety Executive (HSE) legislation and any developments that affect the employer’s industry
- Produce management reports on communication, culture, practices, performance, improvement & legislation.
- Ensure the safe installation of equipment
- This is a managerial role and the candidate must be able to demonstrate the personal qualities required to lead the HSE function within the business
- The ideal candidate will have experience working within a hi-tech engineering industry and have a tangible knowledge of Health and Safety.
- Experience of working in a fast moving development environment would be beneficial
- Within the role the HSE manager will communicate and engage with all of the work force on a behavioural level to achieve a positive HSE culture.
- The role is also a strategic one and the HSE Manager is responsible for the practical application of health and safety policy on the ground, assisting management, employees and contractors in undertaking the measures needed to comply with requirements of company policy, legislation and/or statutory provisions.
- An understanding of radiological HSE issues would be beneficial
Key skills and qualifications:
Health & Safety Manager with engineering experience & the following:
- IOSH is a minimum requirement & NEBOSH is desirable
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- The ability to work autonomously
- The ability to engage, coach & mentor other members of staff
- 25 days holiday, pro rata (plus bank holidays)
- Company pension scheme
- Eleigible for company share option scheme after 1 years’ service
- Compnay bonus scheme, discretionary, dependant on performance
Private medical insurance after 3 months service