HTS Mechanical Engineer
Location: Milton Park, Abingdon
Job type: Permanent
A position is available in the HTS magnet team for a Mechanical Engineer. The successful candidate will be responsible for the design and manufacture of cryogenic equipment to participate in the pioneering work taking place on HTS magnet development at Tokamak Energy.
- Design of pressure and vacuum vessels, ensuring compliance with relevant design codes.
- Design of magnet support structures, ideally including stress calculations.
- Production of design concepts to satisfy manufacture, assembly and maintenance requirements.
- Material selection to account for the operating temperature and magnetic field.
- Production of detailed design drawings, and bill of materials, for manufacture and assembly.
- Manage suppliers to ensure they have the relevant expertise and tooling for the specialist tasks and to ensure components and assemblies are delivered on time.
- Degree or equivalent experience in Mechanical Engineering.
- Experience designing equipment for cryogenic and vacuum environments.
- 3D CAD experience, preferably Solid Edge or similar.
- Experience of working in a team of scientists and/or engineers.
- Experience with Finite Element Analysis, stress analysis familiarity with ANSYS.
Desirable selection criteria
- Knowledge of pressure vessel codes, EN1445 or PD5500.
- Experience of designing systems to operate in high-magnetic fields.
- Experience with joining dissimilar metals.
- Experience of vacuum feedthroughs for power and instrumentation wiring.
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Company pension scheme
- Eligible for company share option scheme after 1 years’ service
- Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependant on performance
- Private medical insurance after 3 months service
Please note: Only candidates with the relevant skills and experience will be contacted regarding this position. If you do not hear back from us within 10 days of submitting, your application then unfortunately you have been unsuccessful. However, we may contact you in the future to discuss other opportunities.
No terminology in the advert or job description is intended to discriminate on the grounds of a person’s gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation. Every candidate will be assessed only in accordance with their merits, qualifications and abilities to perform the duties of the job.
How to apply
Please submit your CV with a covering letter detailing your experience to firstname.lastname@example.org
Important information for candidates
Please note that the appointment of the successful candidate will be subject to standard pre-employment screening, as applicable to the post. This will include right-to-work, proof of identity and references.
Please note that any personal data submitted to Tokamak Energy as part of the job application process will be processed in accordance with the GDPR and related UK data protection legislation, for more information regarding GDPR please see: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation
Equality of Opportunity
Entry into employment with the Tokamak Energy and progression within employment will be determined only by personal merit and the application of criteria which are related to the duties of each post and the relevant salary structure. In all cases, ability to perform the job will be the primary consideration. No applicant or member of staff shall be discriminated against because of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.