Intellectual Property Executive
Location: Milton Park, Abingdon
Job type: Permanent
Overview of the role
Tokamak Energy is developing an extensive and growing intellectual property portfolio which includes over 50 separate patent families and applications in multiple territories. We are now seeking an Intellectual Property (IP) Executive to co-ordinate all of the companies IP and patent related activities.
Main duties/role and responsibilities
- Working with the technical and engineering teams to ensure that all new IP is appropriately captured and protected
- Be the primary point of contact with external patent attorneys with regards to the reporting of inventions and drafting of patent applications
- Administer patent, design right and trademark actions in consultation with, inventors and co-owners, and liaise accordingly with external patent attorneys.
- Co-ordinating signatures of inventors and senior management on prosecution documentation and returning executed documents to patent agents; managing critical patent and trademark renewal deadlines to ensure payments are made on time and no IP rights lost
- monitoring associated costs; keeping inventors and other stakeholders informed of actions; managing electronic and paper documents to maintain appropriate database records.
- Prepare regular reports on the status of the IP and patent portfolio for the Executive team
- Work with the commercial team to review, adapt and improve the company processes with regards to the capture and protection of key IP
- Co-ordinate reviews with the commercial and technical teams to rank and prioritise patents
- Support the budgeting and financial reporting processes with regards to IP related expenditure
- Work with Senior Commercial Manager in evaluation exercises regarding value for money from patenting and related expenditure.
- Educated to first degree level
- Excellent organisational and communication skills
- Computer literacy including word processing, spreadsheets, databases and internet use
- Detailed understanding of IP protection mechanisms
- In-depth understanding of the patent process
- Some paralegal experience
- Awareness of business /commercial issues
- Experience of patent management in a diverse and large patent portfolio
- Excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills plus a willingness to work as an effective part of a team or independently as required
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Company pension scheme
- Eligible for company share option scheme after 1 years’ service
- Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependant on performance
- Private medical insurance after 3 months service
- Cycle to work scheme
Please note: Only candidates with the relevant skills and experience will be contacted regarding this position. If you do not hear back from us within 10 days of submitting, your application then unfortunately you have been unsuccessful. However, we may contact you in the future to discuss other opportunities.
No terminology in the advert or job description is intended to discriminate on the grounds of a person’s gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation. Every candidate will be assessed only in accordance with their merits, qualifications and abilities to perform the duties of the job.
How to apply
If you are passionate about accelerating the development of fusion power and want to join our dynamic team, please send your CV with a covering letter detailing your experience to email@example.com.
Important information for candidates
Please note that the appointment of the successful candidate will be subject to standard pre-employment screening, as applicable to the post. This will include right-to-work, proof of identity and references.
Please note that any personal data submitted to Tokamak Energy as part of the job application process will be processed in accordance with the GDPR and related UK data protection legislation, for more information regarding GDPR please see: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation
Equality of opportunity
Entry into employment with the Tokamak Energy and progression within employment will be determined only by personal merit and the application of criteria which are related to the duties of each post and the relevant salary structure. In all cases, ability to perform the job will be the primary consideration. No applicant or member of staff shall be discriminated against because of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.