Laboratory Manager (TOK115)
Location: Milton Park, Abingdon
Job type: Permanent
Overview of the role
A position is available in Tokamak Energy for a Laboratory Manager. This will cover all laboratories in the organisation including HTS, Demo 4, Divertor Laboratory and clean room. The laboratories support all testing activities involved in developing technologies for fusion development projects and other applications. These activities include manufacturing prototype HTS coils and developing the tooling and processes required. Evaluating materials and developing components required for magnet and divertor manufacturing. The laboratories are equipped with cryogenic test rigs, high heat flux and lithium test rigs plus inspection and evaluation instrumentation.
The successful candidate will be responsible for over-seeing the daily operation of all laboratories including managing a team of technicians, working with the wider team to manage the daily agenda for laboratory activities and priorities and take ownership of the health and safety associated with the range of laboratory activities.
Main duties/role and responsibilities
- Organise and coordinate the daily laboratory activities for both magnet laboratories.
- Manage the team of laboratory based technicians.
- Ensure all activities and equipment are compliant with Tokamak Energy’s health and safety procedures and that all members of staff requesting to undertake activities in the laboratories have had the required training.
- Ensure laboratory activities work instructions and associated risk assessments are up to date fit for purpose.
- Work with the wider magnets team to deliver the exciting magnets development roadmap in progress at Tokamak Energy.
The successful candidate will be well organised and be able to plan multiple parallel activities. Experience of managing teams of technicians is essential. Experience of working with superconducting materials and cryogenic systems are highly desirable but not essential. The candidate must be self-driven and able to work to defined timescales while maintaining a health and safety culture. Have excellent communication skills and the ability to work in a mixed team of engineers, technicians and programme managers designing new and complex devices.
- Degree or equivalent experience in a science or engineering based subject.
- Team management experience on complex engineering projects.
- Experience of maintaining a strong health and safety culture.
- Experience of working with high-cost materials.
- Experience with R&D processes including materials and component evaluation.
- Experience of working in a team of scientists and/or engineers.
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Company pension scheme
- Eligible for company share option scheme after 1 years’ service
- Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependant on performance
- Private medical insurance after 3 months service
- Bike to work scheme
Please note: Only candidates with the relevant skills and experience will be contacted regarding this position. If you do not hear back from us within 10 days of submitting, your application then unfortunately you have been unsuccessful. However, we may contact you in the future to discuss other opportunities.
No terminology in the advert or job description is intended to discriminate on the grounds of a person’s gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation. Every candidate will be assessed only in accordance with their merits, qualifications and abilities to perform the duties of the job.
How to apply
If you are passionate about accelerating the development of fusion power and want to join our dynamic team, please send your CV with a covering letter detailing your experience to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Important information for candidates
Please note that the appointment of the successful candidate will be subject to standard pre-employment screening, as applicable to the post. This will include right-to-work, proof of identity and references.
Please note that any personal data submitted to Tokamak Energy as part of the job application process will be processed in accordance with the GDPR and related UK data protection legislation, for more information regarding GDPR please see: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation
Equality of Opportunity
Entry into employment with the Tokamak Energy and progression within employment will be determined only by personal merit and the application of criteria which are related to the duties of each post and the relevant salary structure. In all cases, ability to perform the job will be the primary consideration. No applicant or member of staff shall be discriminated against because of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.