Magnet Engineer (TOK100)
Location: Milton Park, Abingdon
Job type: Permanent
Overview of the role
A position is available in the MAGNETS magnet team for a Magnet Engineer. This role focuses on developing the HTS magnet technology to scale up TE’s existing HTS coil technology to build magnets for spherical tokamaks. The activities focus on mitigating many of the technical risks involved in large scale coil fabrication and operation. This is a core role in the pioneering work taking place on HTS magnet development at Tokamak Energy.
Main duties/role and responsibilities
- Leading magnet development projects and sub-projects.
- Development of HTS magnet robustness.
- Designing experiments to test aspects of magnet assembly for risk mitigation.
- Interpreting test results and producing clear written reports.
- Informing the design of coil composition, associated cooling requirements and mechanical support infrastructure.
- Working with key suppliers providing direction and expertise on test facility design.
The successful candidate will have experience of working with superconducting materials, either HTS or Low Temperature Superconductors (LTS), to fabricate magnet coil structures. The candidate will have a track record of being involved in system design involving cryogenic and HTS or LTS components. A methodical, analytic mindset is expected as well as being organised, self-driven and able to work to defined scopes and timescales. Have excellent communication skills and the ability to work in a team of engineers designing new and complex devices.
- Degree in a relevant scientific or engineering discipline.
- A good understanding of the principles of electromagnetic forces.
- Experience of working with superconducting materials.
- Experience of cryo-magnet system design.
- Experience of working with ANSYS or similar mechanical modelling software.
- Experience of analysing test data and producing well-structured technical reports for senior management team.
- Familiarity of working with HTS.
- Familiarity of working with magnet modelling/design software (e.g. DASSAULT OPERA, MATLAB, COMSOL)
- Industrial experience of designing and manufacturing cryo-magnet systems.
- Experience of project leading or project management.
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Company pension scheme
- Eligible for company share option scheme after 1 years’ service
- Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependant on performance
- Private medical insurance after 3 months service
- Bike to work scheme
Please note: Only candidates with the relevant skills and experience will be contacted regarding this position. If you do not hear back from us within 10 days of submitting, your application then unfortunately you have been unsuccessful. However, we may contact you in the future to discuss other opportunities.
No terminology in the advert or job description is intended to discriminate on the grounds of a person’s gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation. Every candidate will be assessed only in accordance with their merits, qualifications and abilities to perform the duties of the job.
How to apply
If you are passionate about accelerating the development of fusion power and want to join our dynamic team, please send your CV with a covering letter detailing your experience to firstname.lastname@example.org
Important information for candidates
Please note that the appointment of the successful candidate will be subject to standard pre-employment screening, as applicable to the post. This will include right-to-work, proof of identity and references.
Please note that any personal data submitted to Tokamak Energy as part of the job application process will be processed in accordance with the GDPR and related UK data protection legislation, for more information regarding GDPR please see: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation
Equality of Opportunity
Entry into employment with the Tokamak Energy and progression within employment will be determined only by personal merit and the application of criteria which are related to the duties of each post and the relevant salary structure. In all cases, ability to perform the job will be the primary consideration. No applicant or member of staff shall be discriminated against because of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.