Location: Milton Park, Abingdon
Job type: Permanent
We are now seeking a Magnet Engineer to work in the HTS magnet team. The successful candidate will be contributing to the HTS magnet technology development including conductor evaluation, coil modelling, quench protection, coil design and coil fabrication. This is a core role in the pioneering work taking place on HTS magnet development at Tokamak Energy. The successful candidate will have experience of working with superconducting materials, either HTS or Low Temperature Superconductors (LTS), to fabricate magnet coil structures. A rounded knowledge of the electrical, thermal and mechanical issues affecting magnet design is highly desirable. A methodical, analytic mindset is expected as well as being organised, self-driven and able to work to defined scopes and timescales. Have excellent communication skills and the ability to work in a team of engineers designing new and complex devices
- Leading magnet development projects and sub-projects.
- Development of HTS magnet design and component design.
- Contributing to the development of HTS magnet simulation tools, predominantly using Matlab.
- Contributing to the development of HTS magnet structures, quench protection components and magnet assembly tooling.
- Interpreting test results and producing clear written reports.
- The role may involve some practical experimentation in the HTS Magnet Laboratory on HTS tapes, assemblies and magnets.
Essential selection criteria
- Degree in a relevant scientific or engineering discipline.
- A good understanding of the principles of electromagnetism.
- Experience of working with superconducting materials.
- Experience of working in a team of scientists and/or engineers.
- Experience of analyzing test data and producing well-structured technical reports for senior management team.
- Ability to contribute effectively in a multi-disciplinary team of engineers and scientists.
- Highly motivated to deliver against challenging objectives in a compressed timescale
- Willingness to learn new techniques and technologies.
- Ability to work effectively with minimal supervision.
- Ability to devise and operate effective project schedules.
Desirable selection criteria
- Familiarity of working with HTS.
- Familiarity of working with magnet modelling/design software (e.g. DASSAULT OPERA, MATLAB, COMSOL)
- Experience of performing practical work in a laboratory or engineering research environment.
- Experience of project leading or project management.
- Organized approach to complex problems
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Company pension scheme
- Eligible for company share option scheme after 1 years’ service
- Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependant on performance
- Private medical insurance after 3 months service
Please note: Only candidates with the relevant skills and experience will be contacted regarding this position. If you do not hear back from us within 10 days of submitting, your application then unfortunately you have been unsuccessful. However, we may contact you in the future to discuss other opportunities.
No terminology in the advert or job description is intended to discriminate on the grounds of a person’s gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation. Every candidate will be assessed only in accordance with their merits, qualifications and abilities to perform the duties of the job.
How to apply
if you are passionate about accelerating the development of fusion power and want to join our dynamic team, please send your CV with a covering letter detailing your experience to email@example.com
Important information for candidates
Please note that the appointment of the successful candidate will be subject to standard pre-employment screening, as applicable to the post. This will include right-to-work, proof of identity and references.
Please note that any personal data submitted to Tokamak Energy as part of the job application process will be processed in accordance with the GDPR and related UK data protection legislation, for more information regarding GDPR please see: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation
Equality of Opportunity
Entry into employment with the Tokamak Energy and progression within employment will be determined only by personal merit and the application of criteria which are related to the duties of each post and the relevant salary structure. In all cases, ability to perform the job will be the primary consideration. No applicant or member of staff shall be discriminated against because of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.