Magnet Manufacturing Engineer (TOK004)
Location: Milton Park, Abingdon
Job type: Permanent
Overview of the role
A position is available in the HTS magnet team for a magnet Manufacturing Engineer. This role focuses on developing the magnet manufacturing technology to scale up TE’s existing HTS coil technology to build magnets for spherical tokamaks. The activities focus on process and tooling development mitigating many of the technical risks involved in large scale coil fabrication. Instructing teams of assembly technicians and working closely with key suppliers will be required.
In this role, you will:
- Leading magnet fabrication development projects and sub-projects.
- Development of HTS magnet manufacturing processes and tooling.
- Assessing and developing materials required for coil fabrication.
- Working with key suppliers, national and international.
- Interpreting test results and producing clear written reports.
- Informing the design of coil composition, associated cooling requirements and mechanical support infrastructure.
Requirements and attributes we value:
- Degree in a relevant scientific or engineering discipline.
- Industrial experience of designing manufacturing tooling and processes.
- Industrial experience of working with composite and/or epoxy materials.
- Experience of working in a team of scientists and/or engineers.
- Experience of analysing test data and producing well-structured technical reports for senior management team.
- Experience of developing manufacturing tooling and processes in precision engineering environments.
- Experience of designing assemblies for extreme temperature operation
- Experience of working with superconducting materials, either HTS or Low Temperature Superconductors (LTS)
- A methodical, analytic mindset and being organised, self-driven and able to work to defined scopes and timescales.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work in a team of engineers designing new and complex devices.
- Experience of working with international suppliers.
- Experience of project leading or project management
Benefits available to you:
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Company pension scheme
- Eligible for company share option scheme after 1 years’ service
- Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependant on performance
- Private medical insurance after 3 months service
- Cycle to work scheme
No terminology in the advert or job description is intended to discriminate on the grounds of a person’s gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation. Every candidate will be assessed only in accordance with their merits, qualifications and abilities to perform the duties of the job.
How to apply
If you are passionate about accelerating the development of fusion power and want to join our dynamic team, please send your CV with a covering letter detailing your experience to email@example.com.
Important information for candidates
Please note that the appointment of the successful candidate will be subject to standard pre-employment screening, as applicable to the post. This will include right-to-work, proof of identity and references.
Please note that any personal data submitted to Tokamak Energy as part of the job application process will be processed in accordance with the GDPR and related UK data protection legislation, for more information regarding GDPR please see: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation
Equality of opportunity
Entry into employment with the Tokamak Energy and progression within employment will be determined only by personal merit and the application of criteria which are related to the duties of each post and the relevant salary structure. In all cases, ability to perform the job will be the primary consideration. No applicant or member of staff shall be discriminated against because of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.