Manufacturing Process Engineer (TOK119)
Location: Milton Park, Abingdon
Job type: Permanent
Overview of the role
This role will be responsible for working with the magnet development team to productionise the manufacturing processes that are required to construct larger scale HTS magnets. It will include developing metrics and quality assurance measures to ensure repeatability of multiple magnet builds. The role covers building world-leading HTS magnets for Fusion and Advanced Technology Application projects.
Main duties/role and responsibilities
- Development of HTS coil manufacturing and assembly processes.
- Design HTS coil manufacturing tooling, jigs and fixtures.
- Take ownership of HTS coil manufacturing process FMEA and liaise with the Manufacturing team to define appropriate process controls.
- Collaboration with HTS design team on design for manufacturing and assembly considerations of coil structures and associated materials.
- Development of HTS coil instrumentation fitting tooling.
- Production of HTS coil manufacturing work instructions.
- Train less experienced colleagues in manufacturing techniques and adherence to process.
- Promote adherence to safe working practices in the delivery of project activities
- Collaborate with Quality Manager and the Programme Management team to ensure project and programme management processes are aligned to the Quality Operating System
- Lead preparation, submission and presentation of project status reports
- Degree or equivalent experience in Mechanical Engineering.
- Experience in defining manufacturing processes for high-precision systems or assemblies. These may be for semi-conductor, space, cryogenic or high vacuum environments.
- Experience with joining of dissimilar metals and development of novel processes.
- Experience with FMEA and production process control processes.
- Experience of working in a team of scientists and/or engineers to successfully deliver advanced designs into production.
- Experience of working with superconducting materials and coil winding tooling is desirable.
- Experience of coil potting and jointing is desirable.
- Experience of vacuum feedthroughs for power and instrumentation wiring is desirable.
- Proactive, “can-do” attitude.
- Self-starting and self-reliant.
- Creative and innovative
- Highly motivated to deliver against challenging objectives in a compressed timescale.
- Proven ability to contribute effectively in a multi-disciplinary team of engineers and scientists.
- Willing and able to learn new techniques and technologies.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- Organized approach to complex problems.
- Ability to work effectively with minimal supervision.
- Ability to devise and operate effective project schedules.
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Company pension scheme
- Eligible for company share option scheme after 1 years’ service
- Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependant on performance
- Private medical insurance after 3 months service
- Cycle to work scheme
Please note: Only candidates with the relevant skills and experience will be contacted regarding this position. If you do not hear back from us within 10 days of submitting, your application then unfortunately you have been unsuccessful. However, we may contact you in the future to discuss other opportunities.
No terminology in the advert or job description is intended to discriminate on the grounds of a person’s gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation. Every candidate will be assessed only in accordance with their merits, qualifications and abilities to perform the duties of the job.
How to apply
If you are passionate about accelerating the development of fusion power and want to join our dynamic team, please send your CV with a covering letter detailing your experience to email@example.com.
Important information for candidates
Please note that the appointment of the successful candidate will be subject to standard pre-employment screening, as applicable to the post. This will include right-to-work, proof of identity and references.
Please note that any personal data submitted to Tokamak Energy as part of the job application process will be processed in accordance with the GDPR and related UK data protection legislation, for more information regarding GDPR please see: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation
Equality of opportunity
Entry into employment with the Tokamak Energy and progression within employment will be determined only by personal merit and the application of criteria which are related to the duties of each post and the relevant salary structure. In all cases, ability to perform the job will be the primary consideration. No applicant or member of staff shall be discriminated against because of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.