Neutral Beam Physicist
Location: Milton Park, Abingdon
Job type: Permanent
Neutral Beam Injection (NBI) involves the generation of a high intensity beam of neutral atoms. The NBI system involves a complex interaction of mechanical, electrical and control plant that requires operating in high voltage, high heat flux, vacuum and diagnostic technologies.
The candidate will be part of the Neutral Beam team. The team is responsible for the design, installation and commissioning and operation of several pulsed NBI systems for the ST40 programme. Due to Tokamak Energy’s fast rate of growth and demanding project programme, we need to further develop the NBI team to meet the requirements of the ST40 programme and future systems.
The duties will include:
- Assessing and analysing NBI performance for both performance optimisation and in support of upgrades to the NBI equipment
- Monitoring and performing analysis of data acquired during NBI operations.
- Supports the operation of neutral beam ion sources and related complex electronic and mechanical systems using computerized graphical user interfaces.
- Interfaces between Beam group operators and Physics group scientists.
- Supports programming to perform analysis and to create or modify the interface software.
- Designs, operates and performs data analysis on various diagnostic systems, e.g. thermal, optical, and spectroscopic equipment, to understand and optimize beam performance.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
Hazard-specific / Safety-critical duties
This job includes the following hazards or safety-critical activities
- Infrequent late working
- Driving on Company business
- Travel to suppliers
- Working with Ionising Radiation
- Physics degree or equivalent in a related discipline.
- Active listener and good communicator
- Good use of written and spoken English
- Excellent time & resource management
- Attention to detail
- Highly motivated
- Highly flexible and adaptable
- Organised and able to manage projects
- Ability to use computer data taking, data analysis and modelling
Desirable selection criteria
- Experience with electrical vacuum plant
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Company pension scheme
- Eligible for company share option scheme after 1 years’ service
- Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependant on performance
- Private medical insurance after 3 months service
Please note: Only candidates with the relevant skills and experience will be contacted regarding this position. If you do not hear back from us within 10 days of submitting, your application then unfortunately you have been unsuccessful. However, we may contact you in the future to discuss other opportunities.
No terminology in the advert or job description is intended to discriminate on the grounds of a person’s gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation. Every candidate will be assessed only in accordance with their merits, qualifications and abilities to perform the duties of the job.
How to apply
If you are passionate about accelerating the development of fusion power and want to join our dynamic team, please send your CV with a covering letter detailing your experience to email@example.com
Important information for candidates
Please note that the appointment of the successful candidate will be subject to standard pre-employment screening, as applicable to the post. This will include right-to-work, proof of identity and references.
Please note that any personal data submitted to Tokamak Energy as part of the job application process will be processed in accordance with the GDPR and related UK data protection legislation, for more information regarding GDPR please see: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation
Equality of Opportunity
Entry into employment with the Tokamak Energy and progression within employment will be determined only by personal merit and the application of criteria which are related to the duties of each post and the relevant salary structure. In all cases, ability to perform the job will be the primary consideration. No applicant or member of staff shall be discriminated against because of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.