Plasma Physicist – Disruptions (PHYS004)
Location: Milton Park, Abingdon
Job type: Permanent
Tokamak Energy is currently operating the world’s first high field spherical tokamak, ST40; designing and building increasingly powerful high-field HTS magnets; and designing a large scale HTS tokamak, ST-F1, that will demonstrate thermonuclear fusion power production and the viability of our approach at significant scale. We are seeking a talented scientist to join our physics team and conduct research into disruption physics in high field spherical tokamaks. There will be opportunities to contribute to a range of activities including, disruption modelling; characterisation; avoidance and mitigation. The role will involve participating in ST40 experiments and contributing to the design of future devices.
- Model all aspects of disruptions using MHD equilibrium and stability codes
- Contribute to the disruption physics research programme on ST40
- Contribute to ST40 experimental data analysis, particularly using magnetic and equilibrium diagnostics/analysis
- Report findings at internal meetings, conferences and in peer-reviewed journals
- Work closely with collaborators to contribute to the development of disruption prediction, avoidance and mitigation strategies
- Coordinate and contribute to relevant collaborations
Hazard-specific / Safety-critical duties
This job includes the following hazards or safety-critical activities which will require successful pre-employment health screening through our Occupational Health Service before the successful candidate will be allowed to start work:
- Driving on Company business
- Travel outside of Europe or North America on company business
- PhD in relevant field of physics/engineering or closely related equivalent experience
- Expertise in tokamak disruption modelling
- Proven ability to work in a research environment
- Ability to develop new and existing collaborations
- Ability to contribute effectively in a multi-disciplinary team of engineers and scientists
- Willingness to learn and adopt new techniques and technologies
- Honest, team worker, creative
Desirable selection criteria
- Experience in developing/using the most advanced MHD stability codes
- Relevant publication history
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Company pension scheme
- Eligible for company share option scheme after 1 years’ service
- Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependant on performance
- Private medical insurance after 3 months service
- Cycle to work scheme
Please note: Only candidates with the relevant skills and experience will be contacted regarding this position. If you do not hear back from us within 10 days of submitting, your application then unfortunately you have been unsuccessful. However, we may contact you in the future to discuss other opportunities.
No terminology in the advert or job description is intended to discriminate on the grounds of a person’s gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation. Every candidate will be assessed only in accordance with their merits, qualifications and abilities to perform the duties of the job.
How to apply
If you are passionate about accelerating the development of fusion power and want to join our dynamic team, please send your CV with a covering letter detailing your experience to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Important information for candidates
Please note that the appointment of the successful candidate will be subject to standard pre-employment screening, as applicable to the post. This will include right-to-work, proof of identity and references.
Please note that any personal data submitted to Tokamak Energy as part of the job application process will be processed in accordance with the GDPR and related UK data protection legislation, for more information regarding GDPR please see: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation
Equality of Opportunity
Entry into employment with the Tokamak Energy and progression within employment will be determined only by personal merit and the application of criteria which are related to the duties of each post and the relevant salary structure. In all cases, ability to perform the job will be the primary consideration. No applicant or member of staff shall be discriminated against because of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.