Plasma Physicist – MHD and Magnetics
Location: Milton Park, Abingdon
Job type: Permanent
Do you want to help make fusion power a reality? Are you a plasma physicist looking for a unique and exciting new opportunity? If so, Tokamak Energy are seeking talented and innovative individuals that are passionate about accelerating the development of fusion power to join our physics team. Tokamak Energy’s mission is to transform the way the world generates power by creating a clean, safe and sustainable source of energy for current and future generations. Our innovative approach to fusion is based on two emerging technologies: spherical tokamaks (STs) and high-field magnets made from high temperature superconductors (HTS).
We are looking for a research scientist to join our growing physics team to support ST40 operations and contribute to the design of future high field spherical tokamaks. The role will include analysing ST40 magnetics data to determine equilibrium properties and stability characteristics, as well as assessing and optimising equilibria for future devices. Specific duties will include: producing magnetic reconstructions of ST40 plasmas using EFIT and in-house codes; maintaining magnetics calibrations; developing more advanced reconstructions to include kinetic measurements; performing MHD stability analysis and optimisations; and analysing experimental results.
The role will involve working closely with collaborators within the fusion community to expand the spherical tokamak physics basis through research on ST40 and other devices.
Essential selection criteria
- PhD in plasma physics or closely related equivalent experience
- Familiarity with relevant tokamak/plasma modelling codes (e.g. EFIT, LIUQE, FIESTA, DCON, KNIK, JOREK)
- Knowledge of magnetic reconstruction and MHD stability
- Experience working in a research environment or developing novel technologies
- Ability to work efficiently on own initiative
- Highly motivated to deliver against challenging objectives in a compressed timescale
- Ability to contribute effectively in a multi-disciplinary team of engineers and scientists
- Willingness to learn and adopt new techniques and technologies
- Ability to effectively communicate results to both technical and non-technical colleagues
- Organised approach to tackling complex problems
Desirable selection Criteria
- Experience of programming languages such as MATLAB/Python/Unix/C++/Fortran
- Experimental data analysis experience
- Publication history
- Willingness to develop new and existing collaborations
- 25 days holiday, pro rata (plus bank holidays)
- Company pension scheme
- Eligible for company share option scheme after 1 years’ service
- Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependant on performance
- Private medical insurance after 3 months service
How to apply
If you are passionate about accelerating the development of fusion power and want to join our dynamic team, please send your CV with a covering letter detailing your experience to email@example.com
Important information for candidates
Please note that the appointment of the successful candidate will be subject to standard pre-employment screening, as applicable to the post. This will include right-to-work, proof of identity and references.
Please note that any personal data submitted to Tokamak Energy as part of the job application process will be processed in accordance with the GDPR and related UK data protection legislation, for more information regarding GDPR please see: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation
Equality of Opportunity
Entry into employment with the Tokamak Energy and progression within employment will be determined only by personal merit and the application of criteria which are related to the duties of each post and the relevant salary structure. In all cases, ability to perform the job will be the primary consideration. No applicant or member of staff shall be discriminated against because of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.