Programme Manager ST-F1
Location: Milton Park, Abingdon
Job type: Permanent
Tokamak Energy aims to accelerate the development of fusion energy by combining two emerging technologies – spherical tokamaks and high-temperature superconductors. Originally established in 2009 to design and develop small spherical tokamaks and compact fusion reactors for a range of applications, since then, the Company has unlocked a new route to scalable fusion power that is cost-effective and does not require huge infrastructure and capital expenditure. The technology will revolutionise the world’s energy production – it will be possible to produce more energy, more cheaply and with fewer harmful side effects (e.g. with no long term nuclear waste or carbon emissions). Tokamak Energy aims to accelerate the development of fusion energy by combining two emerging technologies – spherical tokamaks and high-temperature superconductors. The company’s innovation has been featured on Channel 4 news, BBC News Click and Reuters news channel and they received a Technology Pioneer Award at the World Economic Forum on 2016. This is the chance to join a fast-growing high technology company with an agile, dynamic team and to tackle the challenge of a lifetime.
This role is responsible for a major Tokamak Energy tokamak programme delivery to quality, time and budget targets.
- Define programme requirements that link to business milestones and ensure these are documented and approved
- Generate deliverables-based, integrated functional plans (timing and resource) to set timelines for requirements capture, design, software development and validation, procurement, installation, commissioning, servicing, calibration, etc.
- Collaborate with functional leaders to set functional milestones in the plan to track progress against functional processes
- Establish and control a bill of material for programme builds and co-ordinate delivery of components with the Purchasing and Engineering teams
- Manage resource allocation (including external partners and contractors) and delivery of programme activities to quality, cost and time
- Promote adherence to safe working practices in the delivery of programme activities
- Collaborate with Quality Manager to develop appropriate programme processes and documentation
- Manage costs to budget and review programme finance status and forecast with Finance team on a monthly basis
- Establish and manage programme risk register and link mitigation actions to programme timing plans
- Lead preparation, submission and presentation of programme gateway status documentation
Hazard-specific / Safety-critical duties
This job includes the following hazards or safety-critical activities which will require successful pre-employment health screening through our Occupational Health Service before the successful candidate will be allowed to start work:
- Travel outside of Europe or North America on company business [possibly]
- Engineering Degree
- APM qualified (to PFQ or PMQ level) or equivalent
- Considerable experience in delivering complex technology product, construction and / or infrastructure programmes
- High level user of Microsoft Project and Agile programme management tools (eg Redmine)
- Knowledge and experience of engineering design and / or software development processes
- Effective communication (both oral and written), internally and externally
- Strong problem-solving and decision making skills
- Well-structured planning and resourcing for budget setting and management
- Teaching, supporting and leading others
- 25 days holiday, (plus bank holidays)
- Company pension scheme
- Eligible for company share option scheme after 1 years’ service
- Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependant on performance
- Private medical insurance after 3 months service
How to apply
Please submit your CV with a covering letter detailing your experience to firstname.lastname@example.org
Important information for candidates
Please note that the appointment of the successful candidate will be subject to standard pre-employment screening, as applicable to the post. This will include right-to-work, proof of identity and references.
Please note that any personal data submitted to Tokamak Energy as part of the job application process will be processed in accordance with the GDPR and related UK data protection legislation, for more information regarding GDPR please see: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation
Equality of Opportunity
Entry into employment with the Tokamak Energy and progression within employment will be determined only by personal merit and the application of criteria which are related to the duties of each post and the relevant salary structure. In all cases, ability to perform the job will be the primary consideration. No applicant or member of staff shall be discriminated against because of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.