Location: Milton Park, Abingdon
Job type: Permanent
Tokamak Energy has been awarded a £10M grant from the UK government (BEIS) for a Phase 2 study of an Advanced Modular Reactor (AMR) study. This role will be primarily to conduct neutronic and radiation transport analyses in support of that study. The successful applicant will also be involved in establishing links between the AMR project and ST-F1 with a view to characterising shielding and structural components intended for use on AMR (ST-E1) on ST-F1.
- Conduct radiation transport analyses to determine neutronic heat loads to the divertor in support of WP2 (Divertor Modelling)
- Determine through simulation the level of radiation damage (dpa) to various reactor components and infer the effects of radiation damage on macroscopic material properties (e.g. embrittlement) and the consequences on structural integrity under normal and transient conditions.
- Contribute to the determination of divertor design parameters and load case definition.
- Determine a subset of the functional requirements of the divertor system for neutron fluence, radiation heating and environmental conditions; activation and dose rate
- Provide input for radiation parameters to feed into an engineering basis of design (BoD) for the divertor system
- Manage 3D AMR radiation transport models and work with others in the Radiation Systems team and elsewhere to interface CAD master geometry to the models
- Produce radiation heat maps in support of developing a remote maintenance strategy
- Provide input into the safety case; in particular determine the consequences of loss of tritium confinement, exposure to ionising radiation and nuclear decay heat evolution under a loss of coolant accident.
- Interact with the radiation shielding team on the ST-F1 project to mature plans for the characterisation on ST-F1 of shielding and structural materials intended for use on ST-E1/FOAK.
- Contribute to – and support – the radiation shielding team as required to deliver objectives in line with business milestones on ST-F1, ST-40 and Technology Development programmes.
- Experienced user of MCNP as a radiation transport code
- Experienced user of activation/transmutation codes, primarily FISPACT but alternatively ORIGEN or similar
- Experience in nuclear fusion technology and the principles of Tokamak design
- In-depth knowledge of radiation shielding and neutronics
- Knowledge of techniques on how to provide assurance of radiation modelling results through computational and experimental validation and verification
- An ability to communicate effectively to peers and management
- A proven track record of solving complex problems in a rigorous, organised fashion through effective planning and review
- Computationally competent in the ability to use radiation transport software efficiently as well as preparing effective analytical results through word processing and other software tools
- Highly motivated to deliver against challenging objectives in a compressed timescale
- A proactive and self-reliant approach to work with minimal supervision
- Experience of working well in a team of scientists and/or engineers.
Desirable selection criteria
- Experience and knowledge of other radiation transport methodologies, including deterministic, Monte Carlo and point kernel techniques
- Experience of FEA codes, especially Abaqus FEA, and techniques for geometrical meshing and running solvers
- Knowledge of the effects of radiation on materials and Electronic, Electrical and Electro-mechanical (EEE) devices
- Experience in regulatory interaction, including ALARP justifications
- A PhD or MSc (or equivalent) in Nuclear Fusion, or a related subject
- Professionally recognised qualifications such as Chartered Engineer or Chartered Physicist, or international equivalents
- Understanding and awareness of intellectual property.
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Company pension scheme
- Eligible for company share option scheme after 1 years’ service
- Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependant on performance
- Private medical insurance after 3 months service
- Cycle to work scheme
Please note: Only candidates with the relevant skills and experience will be contacted regarding this position. If you do not hear back from us within 10 days of submitting, your application then unfortunately you have been unsuccessful. However, we may contact you in the future to discuss other opportunities.
No terminology in the advert or job description is intended to discriminate on the grounds of a person’s gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation. Every candidate will be assessed only in accordance with their merits, qualifications and abilities to perform the duties of the job.
How to apply
If you are passionate about accelerating the development of fusion power and want to join our dynamic team, please send your CV with a covering letter detailing your experience to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Important information for candidates
Please note that the appointment of the successful candidate will be subject to standard pre-employment screening, as applicable to the post. This will include right-to-work, proof of identity and references.
Please note that any personal data submitted to Tokamak Energy as part of the job application process will be processed in accordance with the GDPR and related UK data protection legislation, for more information regarding GDPR please see: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation
Equality of Opportunity
Entry into employment with the Tokamak Energy and progression within employment will be determined only by personal merit and the application of criteria which are related to the duties of each post and the relevant salary structure. In all cases, ability to perform the job will be the primary consideration. No applicant or member of staff shall be discriminated against because of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.