Radiation Safety Specialist
Location: Milton Park, Abingdon
Job type: Permanent
Reporting to the Health and Safety Manager you will assume responsibility for all radiological safety; to ensure that the business is compliant with all relevant legislation and licence conditions pertaining to the use, storage, security, handling, control and disposal of radioactive sources and substances.
- Co-ordinate, maintain & lead Radiation Protection Supervisors to meet legislative and business needs.
- Provide authoritative advice to Senior Management and the Health and Safety Manager on all radiation safety and legal compliance matters associated with radioactive substances and radiation safety within the Company.
- Provide guidance to all teams across the Company regarding the use, storage, security, handling, control and disposal of radioactive sources and substances where applicable.
- Support audits & inspections by third party bodies regarding compliance with relevant legislation & licence conditions pertaining to the use, storage, security, handling, control & disposal of radioactive sources & substances.
- Provide reports to, and/or attend where required, the Regulatory and Safety Advisory Committee on radiological safety and security matters.
- Manage the ionising radiation monitoring systems, interpret the results and provide analysis to the business.
- Act as the main point of contact with Health and Safety Executive / Environment Agency in relation to any licences / permits relating to ionising radiation or radioactive materials.
- Supporting the Health and Safety Manager with other health, safety and environmental aspects (where appropriate) including for example chemical management, electrical safety and emergency response.
Hazard-specific / Safety-critical duties
- Work in hot or cold environments
- Working with Ionising Radiation
- Good STEM Degree or equivalent qualification.
- Qualification (or relevant experience) in radiation science/health physics.
- Good level of analytic and diagnostic skills.
- Good presentation, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Detail oriented with a natural curiosity and scepticism.
- Willingness to engage with other aspects of safety outside of radiation.
- High energy, passion, resilience and commitment to achieve results.
- A team player who is comfortable engaging with people of different cultures and backgrounds.
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience in radiation science/health physics or similar discipline.
- Wide ranging knowledge of radiation detection systems and related physics.
- Experience with radiological legislation essential.
- Experience with nuclear safeguards legislation advantageous.
- Experience with non-ionising radiation (e.g. laser safety) advantageous.
- NEBOSH general certificate or equivalent advantageous.
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Company pension scheme
- Eligible for company share option scheme after 1 years’ service
- Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependant on performance
- Private medical insurance after 3 months service
Please note: Only candidates with the relevant skills and experience will be contacted regarding this position. If you do not hear back from us within 10 days of submitting, your application then unfortunately you have been unsuccessful. However, we may contact you in the future to discuss other opportunities.
No terminology in the advert or job description is intended to discriminate on the grounds of a person’s gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation. Every candidate will be assessed only in accordance with their merits, qualifications and abilities to perform the duties of the job.
How to apply
If you are passionate about accelerating the development of fusion power and want to join our dynamic team, please send your CV with a covering letter detailing your experience to email@example.com
Important information for candidates
Please note that the appointment of the successful candidate will be subject to standard pre-employment screening, as applicable to the post. This will include right-to-work, proof of identity and references.
Please note that any personal data submitted to Tokamak Energy as part of the job application process will be processed in accordance with the GDPR and related UK data protection legislation, for more information regarding GDPR please see: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation
Equality of Opportunity
Entry into employment with the Tokamak Energy and progression within employment will be determined only by personal merit and the application of criteria which are related to the duties of each post and the relevant salary structure. In all cases, ability to perform the job will be the primary consideration. No applicant or member of staff shall be discriminated against because of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.