Senior High Power RF Engineer (H&CD002)
Location: Milton Park, Abingdon
Job type: Permanent
A position is available in the RF Heating and Current Drive team for a High-Power Senior Engineer with experience in maintenance and operation of high power (100 kW – 1 MW) RF systems. The successful candidate will work with fellow engineers on coordination of commissioning, operation, and future upgrades of new cutting-edge RF heating systems in the range of frequencies (80 – 170 GHz) which are currently in design and fabrication. A key target is the development and implementation of multi-megawatt RF systems for heating of fusion plasma. This is an exciting opportunity to participate in a world leading development of fusion energy.
- Prepare integration of the RF Heating & Current Drive system into the existing building and infrastructure
- Formulate installation sequences, perform clash analysis and actively contribute to the ECH construction process
- Develop interface details for RF equipment including safety measures, control, cooling, interlocks and protection
- Support RF component development, in aspects related to mechanical engineering, installation, commissioning, maintenance and safety
- Responsible for resource planning, scheduling & budgeting for operations, maintenance, refurbishments & upgrades of responsible systems
- Produce reports and documentation as technology is developed
- Ensure electrical and radiation safety policies are followed and contribute to risk assessments and new safety procedures
- Liaise with manufacturers, contractors and collaborators during the design and development of RF system for the future fusion reactor
- Extensive technical expertise in high-power RF technology: RF power sources, transmission lines, launching antennas, ancillary subsystems, RF related hazards and protection
- Considerable practical experience in operation and maintenance of high-power (above 100 kW) RF equipment: commissioning, troubleshooting, control and interlocks
- Familiarity with design software: CAD, Solid Edge or similar
- Strong communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills
- Highly motivated, active team player, able to work in a dynamic environment
Desirable selection criteria
- Bachelor’s, Master’s degree or PhD in high-power RF Electronics or other relevant discipline
- Experience working in a research environment
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Company pension scheme
- Eligible for company share option scheme after 1 years’ service
- Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependant on performance
- Private medical insurance after 3 months service
- Cycle to work scheme
Please note: Only candidates with the relevant skills and experience will be contacted regarding this position. If you do not hear back from us within 10 days of submitting, your application then unfortunately you have been unsuccessful. However, we may contact you in the future to discuss other opportunities.
No terminology in the advert or job description is intended to discriminate on the grounds of a person’s gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation. Every candidate will be assessed only in accordance with their merits, qualifications and abilities to perform the duties of the job.
How to apply
If you are passionate about accelerating the development of fusion power and want to join our dynamic team, please send your CV with a covering letter detailing your experience to email@example.com
Important information for candidates
Please note that the appointment of the successful candidate will be subject to standard pre-employment screening, as applicable to the post. This will include right-to-work, proof of identity and references.
Please note that any personal data submitted to Tokamak Energy as part of the job application process will be processed in accordance with the GDPR and related UK data protection legislation, for more information regarding GDPR please see: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation
Equality of Opportunity
Entry into employment with the Tokamak Energy and progression within employment will be determined only by personal merit and the application of criteria which are related to the duties of each post and the relevant salary structure. In all cases, ability to perform the job will be the primary consideration. No applicant or member of staff shall be discriminated against because of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.
Application deadline: 7 May 2021