Senior NBI Technician
Location: Milton Park, Abingdon
Job type: Permanent
Tokamak Energy are taking delivery of three NBI systems (Neutral Beam Injection). One of which is the larger HNBI (Heating Neutral Beam Injection). The specification and system are in good progress and a Senior Technician is required to assist engineers on the installation and development. They will have a good understanding of materials manufacturing and processes to be able to install Neutral beam systems as they arrive. The Senior Technician will assist the engineer to manage the installation at Tokamak Energy along with the SAT and manage the maintenance and operational process of the NBI system.
They will also work with other Technicians and Engineers to create suitable operations and commissioning processes during operational and maintenance periods. The candidate will need to have an understanding of neutral beam plant, radiation awareness and an understanding of electrical drawings.
Working alongside the NBI Engineer, the Senior Technician will be responsible for the installation of the HNBI system and future NBI systems.
- Mechanical installation
- Working with Electrical Engineers to complete NBI wiring details and installations
- Risk assessment and Method statements for installation and commissioning.
- Installation design and detailing.
- Test and commissioning with the NBI Engineer.
- Monitoring and maintaining conditions of the HNBI during plasma operations.
Hazard-specific / Safety-critical duties
This job includes the following hazards or safety-critical activities which will require successful pre-employment health screening through our Occupational Health Service before the successful candidate will be allowed to start work:
- Working at heights
- A small possibility of Night working (11 pm – 6 am)
- Working with Ionising Radiation
- Regular manual handling
Essential selection criteria
- Mechanical Apprenticeship
- NVQ3, HNC, City & Guilds or equivalent in mechanical engineering
Desirable selection criteria:
- Experience with Vacuum, Gas and Cooling system
- Mechanical installation
- Demonstrate ability to work effectively as part of a team, or alone.
- Willingness to learn new techniques.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- Self-motivated and uses initiative.
- Practically minded and have a hands-on approach to work.
- Strong problem-solving ability.
- Have a keen eye for detail.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Good planning and organisational skills.
- Able to work safely.
- Able to integrate well.
- Good communication to wider group.
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Company pension scheme
- Eligible for company share option scheme after 1 years’ service
- Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependant on performance
- Private medical insurance after 3 months service
Please note: Only candidates with the relevant skills and experience will be contacted regarding this position. If you do not hear back from us within 10 days of submitting, your application then unfortunately you have been unsuccessful. However, we may contact you in the future to discuss other opportunities.
No terminology in the advert or job description is intended to discriminate on the grounds of a person’s gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation. Every candidate will be assessed only in accordance with their merits, qualifications and abilities to perform the duties of the job.
How to apply
If you are passionate about accelerating the development of fusion power and want to join our dynamic team, please send your CV with a covering letter detailing your experience to firstname.lastname@example.org
Important information for candidates
Please note that the appointment of the successful candidate will be subject to standard pre-employment screening, as applicable to the post. This will include right-to-work, proof of identity and references.
Please note that any personal data submitted to Tokamak Energy as part of the job application process will be processed in accordance with the GDPR and related UK data protection legislation, for more information regarding GDPR please see: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation
Equality of Opportunity
Entry into employment with the Tokamak Energy and progression within employment will be determined only by personal merit and the application of criteria which are related to the duties of each post and the relevant salary structure. In all cases, ability to perform the job will be the primary consideration. No applicant or member of staff shall be discriminated against because of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.