Senior Tokamak Cryogenics System Engineer
Location: Milton Park, Abingdon
Job type: Permanent
A position is available in the Technology Development team for a Cryogenic Systems Engineer. The successful candidate will be responsible for specification, design, analysis, integration, and commissioning of cryogenic systems required for cooling the superconducting magnets in tokamaks and associated test facilities, at scales from individual components to large-scale, site-wide cryogenic plant. The successful candidate will have a significant understanding of the physical principles of thermodynamics, heat transfer, and fluid mechanics, and will be able to demonstrate techniques for applying this knowledge to real engineering problems. As cryogenics interfaces with many disciplines in the Tokamak Energy team, a wide engineering experience would be particularly valuable. For this role it is important to be well-organised, motivated and committed to working to defined timescales. Candidates should have excellent communication skills and the ability to work in a mixed team of engineers and technicians designing innovative and complex devices.
- Thermodynamic analysis and design;
- Management of cryogenic system projects;
- Liaison with key external suppliers and subcontractors;
- Liaison with stakeholders internal to Tokamak Energy;
- Safety analysis and safety case preparation for cryogenic plant and systems;
- Preparation of technical reports and specifications;
- Development of design tools and modelling code, where appropriate
Hazard-specific / Safety-critical duties
- Working at heights
- Lone Working
- Work in hot or cold environments
- Driving on Company business
- Degree or equivalent experience in an Engineering or Physics based discipline.
- Experience working with cryogenic systems, compressed gases, or vacuum technology
- Highly motivated to deliver against challenging objectives in a compressed timescale
- Ability to contribute and communicate effectively in a multi-disciplinary team of engineers and scientists
- Able to devise and operate effective project schedules
Desirable selection criteria
- Demonstrated track record of innovation, creativity and project delivery in a complex engineering / technology development environment.
- Some experience working with large scale cryogenic plant would be very beneficial.
- Project management experience.
- Willingness to learn new techniques and technologies
- Self-starting and self-reliant
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Company pension scheme
- Eligible for company share option scheme after 1 years’ service
- Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependant on performance
- Private medical insurance after 3 months service
Please note: Only candidates with the relevant skills and experience will be contacted regarding this position. If you do not hear back from us within 10 days of submitting, your application then unfortunately you have been unsuccessful. However, we may contact you in the future to discuss other opportunities.
No terminology in the advert or job description is intended to discriminate on the grounds of a person’s gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation. Every candidate will be assessed only in accordance with their merits, qualifications and abilities to perform the duties of the job.
How to apply
If you are passionate about accelerating the development of fusion power and want to join our dynamic team, please send your CV with a covering letter detailing your experience to email@example.com
Important information for candidates
Please note that the appointment of the successful candidate will be subject to standard pre-employment screening, as applicable to the post. This will include right-to-work, proof of identity and references.
Please note that any personal data submitted to Tokamak Energy as part of the job application process will be processed in accordance with the GDPR and related UK data protection legislation, for more information regarding GDPR please see: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation
Equality of Opportunity
Entry into employment with the Tokamak Energy and progression within employment will be determined only by personal merit and the application of criteria which are related to the duties of each post and the relevant salary structure. In all cases, ability to perform the job will be the primary consideration. No applicant or member of staff shall be discriminated against because of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.