Special Projects Manager
Location: Milton Park, Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Job type: Permanent
Tokamak Energy aims to accelerate the development of fusion energy by combining two emerging technologies – spherical tokamaks and high-temperature superconducting (HTS) magnets. Originally established in 2009 to design and develop small spherical tokamaks and compact fusion reactors for a range of applications, since then, the Company has unlocked a new route to scalable fusion power that is cost-effective and does not require huge infrastructure and capital expenditure. The technology will revolutionise the world’s energy production – it will be possible to produce more energy, more cheaply and with fewer harmful side effects (e.g. with no long-term nuclear waste or carbon emissions).
The company’s innovation has been featured on Channel 4 news, BBC News Click and Reuters news channel and they received a Technology Pioneer Award at the World Economic Forum on 2016. This is the chance to join a fast-growing high technology company with an agile, dynamic team and to tackle the challenge of a lifetime.
Tokamak Energy’s pursuit of the goal of fusion energy has already led to the development of HTS magnet technology with a range of other applications. In future that company may develop additional technology with wider applications outside fusion energy. This is a new role for a leader who will build a team to commercially exploit HTS magnets and other technology for non-fusion applications.
The key responsibility is to build a business unit to commercially exploit HTS magnets and other technology for non-fusion applications.
This will require:
- assessment of the market opportunities
- a deep understanding of the technology and intellectual property that Tokamak Energy has developed, and will continue to develop
- assessment of, and engagement with, prospective partners for technology development and commercialisation
- management and delivery of technology and market development projects
- planning and executing the most cost- and time-effective route to market
- demonstration and communication of the value created by the business unit, even before licence income starts to flow
- identification of intellectual property and briefing of patent agents
- Technical ability (knowledge and experience). This must include experience of super-conducting magnet engineering
- Professional expertise and/or qualifications as an engineer
- Decision-making, problem-solving, planning and organising
- Ability to communicate and relate to others (oral / written)
- Leading and developing others – line management
- Analysis and research
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Company pension scheme
- Eligible for company share option scheme after 1 years’ service
- Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependant on performance
- Private medical insurance after 3 months service
How to apply
Please submit your CV with a covering letter detailing your experience to firstname.lastname@example.org
Important information for candidates
Please note that the appointment of the successful candidate will be subject to standard pre-employment screening, as applicable to the post. This will include right-to-work, proof of identity and references.
Please note that any personal data submitted to Tokamak Energy as part of the job application process will be processed in accordance with the GDPR and related UK data protection legislation, for more information regarding GDPR please see: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation
Equality of Opportunity
Entry into employment with the Tokamak Energy and progression within employment will be determined only by personal merit and the application of criteria which are related to the duties of each post and the relevant salary structure. In all cases, ability to perform the job will be the primary consideration. No applicant or member of staff shall be discriminated against because of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.