ST-E1 Technology Manager
Location: Milton Park, Abingdon
Job type: Permanent
The successful candidate will have a unique opportunity to shape the global fusion power industry by managing the fast-track development of technologies required to commercialize fusion power. The primary responsibility is to manage the development of technology specific to ST-E1, the first power-to-grid fusion power plant. This will involve building and managing a core team and liaising with external collaborators in academia and industry. In the early stages, strong involvement with the ST-F1 design team will also be needed, to ensure that ST-F1 (Tokamak Energy’s net fusion power demonstrator) technologies can scale up to long-term operation with high availability and efficient net power output.
Manage the development of technologies needed for a commercial fusion power plant:
- power generation and tritium breeding blankets
- structural and plasma facing materials suitable for power-plant neutron fluence
- tritium plant and fuel cycle
- steady state burning plasma facing components and plasma control systems
- fusion power plant economic
- Assist with sourcing, design and development of technology for ST-F1, to ensure relevance to ST-E1 whilst achieving world-first demonstration of net plasma energy gain:
- plasma diagnostics
- cryogenic and vacuum plant systems
- efficient power supplies for plasma heating and superconducting magnets
- radiofrequency plasma heating and current drive
- radiation shielding
- plant economics and decommissioning
The role will involve setting up and managing collaborations with key suppliers and expert organizations in industry and the fusion technology community. Some overseas travel will be required.
- Degree level (ideally PhD) qualification in relevant science of engineering discipline
- Demonstrated ability to manage scientists and engineers in a commercial technology development environment
- Strong ability to communicate complex technical issues clearly to team members at all levels in the organization
- A positive and enthusiastic approach to problem solving
- Good leadership and team motivation skills
- Demonstrated project management skills, ideally in large-scale technology infrastructure development
- Experience in managing a significant technology development budget
- Experience with nuclear and/or superconducting or cryogenic technology
Desirable selection criteria
- Experience with fusion technology
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Company pension scheme
- Eligible for company share option scheme after 1 years’ service
- Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependant on performance
- Private medical insurance after 3 months service
Please note: Only candidates with the relevant skills and experience will be contacted regarding this position. If you do not hear back from us within 10 days of submitting, your application then unfortunately you have been unsuccessful. However, we may contact you in the future to discuss other opportunities.
No terminology in the advert or job description is intended to discriminate on the grounds of a person’s gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation. Every candidate will be assessed only in accordance with their merits, qualifications and abilities to perform the duties of the job.
How to apply
Please submit your CV with a covering letter detailing your experience to email@example.com
Important information for candidates
Please note that the appointment of the successful candidate will be subject to standard pre-employment screening, as applicable to the post. This will include right-to-work, proof of identity and references.
Please note that any personal data submitted to Tokamak Energy as part of the job application process will be processed in accordance with the GDPR and related UK data protection legislation, for more information regarding GDPR please see: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation
Equality of Opportunity
Entry into employment with the Tokamak Energy and progression within employment will be determined only by personal merit and the application of criteria which are related to the duties of each post and the relevant salary structure. In all cases, ability to perform the job will be the primary consideration. No applicant or member of staff shall be discriminated against because of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.