Technical/Engineering Senior Buyer
Location: Milton Park, Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Job type: Full Time, Permanent or Contractor (37.5 hours per week)
Tokamak Energy has unlocked a new route to scalable fusion power that is cost-effective and does not require huge infrastructure and capital expenditure. The technology will revolutionise the world’s energy production – it will be possible to produce more energy, more cheaply and with fewer harmful side effects (e.g. with no long-term nuclear waste or carbon emissions). Tokamak Energy aims to accelerate the development of fusion energy by combining two emerging technologies – spherical tokamaks and high-temperature superconductors. The company’s innovation has been featured on Channel 4 news, BBC News Click and Reuters news channel and they received a Technology Pioneer Award at the World Economic Forum on 2016. This is the chance to join a fast-growing high technology company with an agile, dynamic team and to tackle the challenge of a lifetime.
Tokamak Energy are seeking an accomplished Technical Buyer to support the rapid exiting growth of our Fusion Energy programme.
Reporting directly to the Purchasing Manager, you will be responsible for the procurement of a range of complex mechanical, machined, sub-contract manufactured and electrical components which are used in our Compact Spherical Tokamak fusion reactors. Tokamak Energy requirements are not ‘off the shelf’ therefore the Technical Buyer will be responsible for developing a robust, sustainable Supply Partner Chain committed and capable of supporting our ambition to commercialise Fusion Energy.
The ideal candidate will be a committed and self-starting team player with strong interpersonal and organisational skills, able to manage your own time effectively, you will be comfortable dealing with the hustle and bustle of flux and transformation. You will demonstrate confident, considered communications and be competent in negotiating value through strong and positive relationships with your colleagues’ and suppliers alike.
This role will have a tactical focus which must be delivered strategically to ensure our ambitions can be realised in full. An ambassador for Purchasing this role requires an individual who is confident communicating at all levels within the organisation and can deputise for the Purchasing Manager as and when required.
This is an exciting opportunity for the right person to have a real impact and contribution to the successfulness of Fusion Energy.
- Be responsible for the end to end purchasing process for all Technical/ Engineering requirements.
- Impart technical / commercial knowledge to the business developing awareness, and implementation of supply chain processes.
- Balance both tactical and strategic initiatives to ensure our ambitious targets are achieved.
- Ensure continuous supply of goods, communicate any supply issues which may pose a risk or impact business projects.
- Develop ideas and strategies to improve operational efficiency, add value, aid business performance and development and work towards a strategy of continuous improvement.
- Negotiate framework contracts, improved prices and terms of business with suppliers
- Review opportunities to make business savings utilising negotiation and procurement best practice tools and methods.
- Create and manage a rationalised Supplier capability matrix.
- Assess and evaluate suppliers and undertake performance reviews to ensure contract compliance and manage performance.
- Ensure that a professional and consistent approach is taken in relation to all supply partner relationships.
- Ensure compliance to Health & Safety, Environmental, Quality and financial guidelines.
- Contribute to purchasing policies and procedures during supplier negotiations and contracts award process.
- Explore alternate sources for goods and materials.
- Undertake research on and evaluate existing and new suppliers, practices and technologies.
- Pro-actively contact suppliers to resolve price, quality, delivery or invoice issues.
- Travel outside of Europe or North America on company business.
- Significant experience in an Engineering purchasing role with demonstrable delivery of strategic initiatives.
- Ability to read and interpret technical drawings.
- Competent user of ERP systems & able to follow BOM structures Microsoft Dynamics NAV/ Team centre.
- Analytical, numerically astute with good problem identification and solution abilities.
- Results orientated with the ability to plan and deliver against project deadlines.
- Commercially and financially aware with keen attention to detail and accuracy.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to coordinate several projects simultaneously.
- A good foundation of skills and knowledge of relevant supply chain, purchasing and sourcing concepts.
- Innovative and embraces a personal challenge
- Confident, rounded thinking
- Strong proven experience of building and maintaining effective and productive relationships with key stakeholders and suppliers.
- Proven negotiation, communication, interpersonal and influencing skills.
- Member of the Chartered Institute of Procurement and Supply.
Desirable selection criteria
- Experience from within a faced paced engineering environment such as Formula 1 or similar.
- Experience in the procurement of castings and complex machined parts and electrical componentry such as HV power supplies.
- Experience of sourcing new suppliers often covering new unproven technologies.
- Experience of Supply Chain development and optimisation.
- Experience of Process development and optimisation.
- 25 days holiday, pro rata (plus bank holidays)
- Company pension scheme
- Eligible for company share option scheme after 1 years’ service
- Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependant on performance
- Private medical insurance after 3 months service
How to apply
Please submit your CV with a covering letter detailing your experience to firstname.lastname@example.org
Important information for candidates
Please note that the appointment of the successful candidate will be subject to standard pre-employment screening, as applicable to the post. This will include right-to-work, proof of identity and references.
Please note that any personal data submitted to Tokamak Energy as part of the job application process will be processed in accordance with the GDPR and related UK data protection legislation, for more information regarding GDPR please see: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation
Equality of Opportunity
Entry into employment with the Tokamak Energy and progression within employment will be determined only by personal merit and the application of criteria which are related to the duties of each post and the relevant salary structure. In all cases, ability to perform the job will be the primary consideration. No applicant or member of staff shall be discriminated against because of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.