Tokamak Integration Engineer (TOK152)
Location: Milton Park, Abingdon
Job type: Permanent
Overview of the role
A position is available for a Tokamak Integration Engineer. The successful candidate will be responsible for progressing one or more cross-functional projects in liaison with Engineers from Functional Disciplines. For example, the Plasma Control System requires a coordinated design effort between Plasma Physics, Plasma Diagnostics, Magnets, Power Supplies and Control Systems teams. The Tokamak Engineer would work closely with the engineers in each area to develop and implement a Plasma Control System for ST-F1, the world’s first high gain fusion demonstrator using HTS magnets. Similar projects are Thermal and Mechanical Integration, Materials selection and Magnetic Field Quality.
In this role, you will:
- Take ownership of for developing a start-to-finish technology solution for one or more identified key tokamak functional requirements.
- Liaison with key specialists across multiple technical functions.
- Preparation of technical reports and specifications.
- Development of design tools and modelling code, where appropriate.
- Contribute to day-to-day activities on secondment to functional departments (as part of tokamak skill and knowledge acquisition).
- Report to the Chief Engineer
Hazard-specific / Safety-critical duties
This job includes the following hazards or safety-critical activities which will require successful pre-employment health screening through our occupational health service before the successful candidate will be allowed to start work:
- Driving on Company business
- Travel outside of Europe or North America on company business
Requirements and attributes we value:
- A keen interest in developing a deep understanding of complex technology, including the underlying physical principles and practical engineering methods.
- Organised, self driven and able to work to defined timescales.
- Experience of System Integration in a high technology product environment. Experience in non-fusion industries as well as fusion is welcome, eg: Aerospace, Power/Electrical, Space Technology, Defense and High-value Manufacturing.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work in a mixed team of engineers and technicians designing innovative and complex devices.
- Degree or equivalent experience in an Engineering or Physics based discipline.
- Higher Degree or Doctorate in an Engineering or Physics based discipline.
- Demonstrated track record of innovation, creativity and project delivery in a complex engineering / technology development environment.
- Highly motivated to deliver against challenging objectives in a compressed timescale.
- Well developed ability to contribute and communicate effectively in a multi-disciplinary team of engineers and scientists.
- Willingness to learn new techniques and technologies.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- Organized approach to complex problems.
- Ability to work effectively with minimal supervision.
- Proactive attitude.
- Self-starting and self-reliant.
- Ability to devise and operate effective project schedules.
- Creativity and innovation.
Benefits available to you:
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Company pension scheme
- Eligible for company share option scheme after 1 years’ service
- Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependant on performance
- Private medical insurance after 3 months service
- Cycle to work scheme
No terminology in the advert or job description is intended to discriminate on the grounds of a person’s gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation. Every candidate will be assessed only in accordance with their merits, qualifications and abilities to perform the duties of the job.
How to apply
If you are passionate about accelerating the development of fusion power and want to join our dynamic team, please send your CV with a covering letter detailing your experience to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Important information for candidates
Please note that the appointment of the successful candidate will be subject to standard pre-employment screening, as applicable to the post. This will include right-to-work, proof of identity and references.
Please note that any personal data submitted to Tokamak Energy as part of the job application process will be processed in accordance with the GDPR and related UK data protection legislation, for more information regarding GDPR please see: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation
Equality of opportunity
Entry into employment with the Tokamak Energy and progression within employment will be determined only by personal merit and the application of criteria which are related to the duties of each post and the relevant salary structure. In all cases, ability to perform the job will be the primary consideration. No applicant or member of staff shall be discriminated against because of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.