Tokamak Scenario Modeller
Location: Milton Park, Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Job type: Full Time, Permanent
Are you passionate about accelerating the development of fusion power? If so, Tokamak Energy are seeking talented and innovative individuals to join their physics team and help make limitless fusion energy a reality.
Tokamak Energy’s mission is to transform the way the world generates power by creating a clean, safe and sustainable source of energy for current and future generations. Our innovative approach to fusion is based on two emerging technologies: spherical tokamaks (STs) and high-field magnets made from high temperature superconductors (HTS).
Combining these two technologies enables efficient fusion power production in devices much smaller than previously thought possible. To demonstrate this revolutionary technology, Tokamak Energy are currently operating the worlds first high field spherical tokamak, ST40; designing and building increasingly powerful high-field HTS magnets; and designing a large scale HTS tokamak, ST-F1, that will be the first device to demonstrate the viability of fusion power.
Tokamak Energy are looking for a physicist to develop and optimise tokamak operating scenarios that take full advantage of the beneficial properties of high field spherical tokamaks.
This role will include:
- modelling and optimising tokamak operating scenarios
- developing fully non-inductive scenarios with high bootstrap fractions and electron cyclotron (EC) heating
- exploring novel plasma start-up schemes
- modelling for both ST40 and future devices
- working closely with Tokamak Energy’s collaborators to improve modelling capabilities
- incorporating the latest results and understanding from relevant experiments
Essential selection criteria
- PhD in plasma physics or closely related equivalent experience
- Experience working in a research environment or developing novel technologies
- Ability to work efficiently on own initiative
- Highly motivated to deliver against challenging objectives in a compressed timescale
- Ability to contribute effectively in a multi-disciplinary team of engineers and scientists
- Willingness to learn and adopt new techniques and technologies
- Ability to effectively communicate results to both technical and non-technical colleagues
- Organised approach to tackling complex problems
Desirable selection Criteria
- Familiarity with tokamak/plasma modelling codes
- Experience of programming languages such as MatLab/Python/Unix/C++
- Experimental data analysis experience
- Publication history
- Willingness to develop new and existing collaborations
- 25 days holiday, pro rata (plus bank holidays)
- Company pension scheme
- Eligible for company share option scheme after 1 years’ service
- Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependant on performance
- Private medical insurance after 3 months service
How to apply
Please submit your CV with a covering letter detailing your experience to email@example.com
Important information for candidates
Please note that the appointment of the successful candidate will be subject to standard pre-employment screening, as applicable to the post. This will include right-to-work, proof of identity and references.
Please note that any personal data submitted to Tokamak Energy as part of the job application process will be processed in accordance with the GDPR and related UK data protection legislation, for more information regarding GDPR please see: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation
Equality of Opportunity
Entry into employment with the Tokamak Energy and progression within employment will be determined only by personal merit and the application of criteria which are related to the duties of each post and the relevant salary structure. In all cases, ability to perform the job will be the primary consideration. No applicant or member of staff shall be discriminated against because of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.