Tokamak Systems Integration Engineer
Location: Milton Park, Abingdon
Job type: Permanent
A position is available in the Technology Development Integration team for a Tokamak Systems Integration Engineer. The successful candidate will be responsible for progressing one or more cross-functional projects in liaison with Engineers from Functional Disciplines. For example, the Plasma Control System requires a coordinated design effort between Plasma Physics, Plasma Diagnostics, Magnets, Power Supplies and Control Systems teams. The Tokamak Engineer would work closely with the engineers in each area to develop and implement a Plasma Control System for ST-F1, the world’s first high gain fusion demonstrator using HTS magnets. Similar projects are Thermal and Mechanical Integration, Materials selection and Magnetic Field Quality. The successful candidate will have a keen interest in developing a deep understanding of complex technology, including the underlying physical principles and practical engineering methods. They will lead the development of a cross-function system design concept and assist in its implementation, utilizing modern manufacturing solutions. They need to be organised, self driven and able to work to defined timescales.
Key duties will include
- Take ownership of for developing a start-to-finish technology solution for one or more identified key tokamak functional requirements.
- Liaison with key specialists across multiple technical functions.
- Preparation of technical reports and specifications.
- Development of design tools and modelling code, where appropriate.
- Contribute to day-to-day activities on secondment to functional departments (as part of tokamak skill and knowledge acquisition).
Key skills and qualifications:
- Degree or equivalent experience in an Engineering or Physics based discipline.
- Higher Degree or Doctorate in an Engineering or Physics based discipline.
- Demonstrated track record of innovation, creativity and project delivery in a complex engineering / technology development environment.
- Highly motivated to deliver against challenging objectives in a compressed timescale.
- Well developed ability to contribute and communicate effectively in a multi-disciplinary team of engineers and scientists.
- Willingness to learn new techniques and technologies.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- Organized approach to complex problems.
- Ability to work effectively with minimal supervision.
- Proactive attitude.
- Self-starting and self-reliant.
- Ability to devise and operate effective project schedules.
- Creativity and innovation.
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Company pension scheme
- Eligible for company share option scheme after 1 years’ service
- Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependant on performance
- Private medical insurance after 3 months service
Please note: Only candidates with the relevant skills and experience will be contacted regarding this position. If you do not hear back from us within 10 days of submitting, your application then unfortunately you have been unsuccessful. However, we may contact you in the future to discuss other opportunities.
No terminology in the advert or job description is intended to discriminate on the grounds of a person’s gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation. Every candidate will be assessed only in accordance with their merits, qualifications and abilities to perform the duties of the job.
How to apply
Please submit your CV with a covering letter detailing your experience to email@example.com
Important information for candidates
Please note that the appointment of the successful candidate will be subject to standard pre-employment screening, as applicable to the post. This will include right-to-work, proof of identity and references.
Please note that any personal data submitted to Tokamak Energy as part of the job application process will be processed in accordance with the GDPR and related UK data protection legislation, for more information regarding GDPR please see: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation
Equality of Opportunity
Entry into employment with the Tokamak Energy and progression within employment will be determined only by personal merit and the application of criteria which are related to the duties of each post and the relevant salary structure. In all cases, ability to perform the job will be the primary consideration. No applicant or member of staff shall be discriminated against because of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.