Vacuum Engineer (MECH019)
Location: Milton Park, Abingdon
Job type: Permanent
Overview of the role
To help implement, test, operate & troubleshoot vacuum (RV – UHV) & UHP gas systems for fusion & related applications.
Main duties/role and responsibilities
Working closely with/managing technicians & other department resource to implement vacuum & gas system projects
Hazard-specific / Safety-critical duties
This job includes the following hazards or safety-critical activities which will require successful pre-employment health screening through our occupational health service before the successful candidate will be allowed to start work:
- Driving on Company business
- Working with ionising radiation
- Regular manual handling
- Working with electricity (LV only)
- Work with cryogenic fluids including liquid nitrogen
- Working with or in the vicinity of equipment that produces high magnetic fields
- Working with materials that are managed under the control of substances hazardous to health regulations (COSHH)
- Degree level + vacuum and other high relevance experience
- Physics / materials science / relevant engineering degree
- Fundamental understanding of vacuum and gas systems
- Vacuum/gas best practice
- Wide practical experience of vacuum & gas system – particularly UHV & UHP – especially for fusion applications
- Understanding of vacuum technology: pumping systems, metrology, materials outgassing, chamber design & technology etc.
- Vacuum/gas system design
- Vacuum/gas system safety
- Practical experience of project delivery – especially relevant to vacuum/gas systems
- Vacuum modelling
- RGA analysis / outgassing evaluation
- Helium leak checking
- System troubleshooting
- Experience in fusion or other plasma oriented high-technology vacuum applications (e.g. CVD, RIE, Semiconductor vacuum tools etc)
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Company pension scheme
- Eligible for company share option scheme after 1 years’ service
- Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependant on performance
- Private medical insurance after 3 months service
- Cycle to work scheme
Please note: Only candidates with the relevant skills and experience will be contacted regarding this position. If you do not hear back from us within 10 days of submitting, your application then unfortunately you have been unsuccessful. However, we may contact you in the future to discuss other opportunities.
No terminology in the advert or job description is intended to discriminate on the grounds of a person’s gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation. Every candidate will be assessed only in accordance with their merits, qualifications and abilities to perform the duties of the job.
How to apply
If you are passionate about accelerating the development of fusion power and want to join our dynamic team, please send your CV with a covering letter detailing your experience to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Important information for candidates
Please note that the appointment of the successful candidate will be subject to standard pre-employment screening, as applicable to the post. This will include right-to-work, proof of identity and references.
Please note that any personal data submitted to Tokamak Energy as part of the job application process will be processed in accordance with the GDPR and related UK data protection legislation, for more information regarding GDPR please see: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation
Equality of opportunity
Entry into employment with the Tokamak Energy and progression within employment will be determined only by personal merit and the application of criteria which are related to the duties of each post and the relevant salary structure. In all cases, ability to perform the job will be the primary consideration. No applicant or member of staff shall be discriminated against because of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.